Monday 15 August 2016

Fun At Felbrigg

One day last week we went to Felbrigg Hall - since our last visit they have done some extensive renovations [including £40K on new pelmets!] We enjoyed ourselves, but spotted a few things as we went round that amused us. How language changes- these two prints were a reminder that a few hundred years ago macaroni meant a dandy not a sort of pasta

One of the family members was very keen on fireworks, with disastrous results - one room was completely destroyed in an explosion. Hence the warning signs

The label on this box of candles just made me giggle

But the most intriguing was when I was looking at the sheet listing all the stained glass windows. Some were family pictures, others historical events, many Biblical scenes [including ones where the facial expressions were agonising, like The Slaughter of The Innocents, and The Circumcision In The Temple]



I mean, what would you be looking for in a window, if you read a description like this?

It sounds either utterly gruesome - or someone preparing pigmeat for the BBQ. Then I realised these were three families who had responsibility for Felbrigg Hall - it is simply their coat of arms!
 



2 comments:

  1. Hello!
    I am so sorry I have not been around recently. I've actually been on a cruise for almost 2 weeks and before I was in France for a week! I do apologise for the lack of blog presence and comments. I do hope you are well!
    Ha, I love the complicated-sounding description of the stained glass!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kezzie, good to know you are OK. Teachers deserve a break in the summer, hope you and Cbc are really relaxing before term starts again! X

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!